Years of running, jumping and walking take a toll on your pet's joints. When your once energetic cat or dog starts to slows down or appears to be in pain, osteoarthritis may be to blame. The disea ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 08-27-2014
In addition to poisonous plants, gardens can pose a number of poisoning hazards. Be a garden guardian – keep these substances away from pets.
Rodent, snail and slug baits are often used to keep pests at bay. But if ingested, these poisons are extremely harmful to pets. They are highly toxic and, without immediate veterinary attention, can be fatal. Rodent baits typically can result in blood clotting disorders, brain swelling or kidney failure, depending on which type is used, while snail and slug baits can result in severe tremoring or seizuring.
Used as an organic fertilizer, blood meal is flash frozen animal blood that has been dried and ground. Unfortunately, many pets find this product very tasty and may even seek it out. If a large amount is ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and severe inflammation of the pancreas.
Bone meal is an organic fertilizer made from animal bones that have been ground to a powder. The “bone” is what makes it so palatable to dogs – but when ingested, bone meal can form a large, concrete-like obstruction in the stomach that could require surgical removal.
Most over-the-counter insecticides are basic gastrointestinal irritants to pets and are generally not cause for major concern. However, if your pet has ingested this type of chemical, contact Pet Poison Helpline right away to make sure your pet is safe.
Many fertilizers are basic gastrointestinal irritants. However, some are often combined with dangerous chemicals and compounds called organophosphates or carbamates, which can be harmful to pets. Ingestion can result in drooling, watery eyes, urination, defecation, seizures, difficulty breathing, fever and even death. Immediate treatment with an antidote is necessary to improve your pet’s chance of survival.
Source: VPI Pet Insurance
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.