If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

RSS Feed

Posted on 08-11-2014

Lovely as they are, some plants are poisonous to pets if ingested.  Many plants cause toxicity in animals, but the following are some of the most common – and can even be deadly.

Autumn Crocus

Though both spring and autumn crocuses can cause adverse reactions in pets, the autumn crocus is highly toxic.  If ingested, this plant can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure.

Azalea

In the same family as rhododendrons, azaleas can have serious effects on pets.  Eating even a few leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling; without immediate attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die.

Cyclamen

This seasonal flowering plant can be dangerous to pets.  If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting.

Daffodil Bulbs

Ingestion of a daffodil bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.  More serious reactions include abnormal heart rate or changes in respiration.

Dieffenbachia

Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

Hyacinth/Tulip Bulbs

 

Though all parts of hyacinths and tulips can cause adverse reactions if ingested, these plants contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb.  If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and an increase in heart rate.

Kalanchoe

This popular flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.

Lily

Certain types of lilies – including tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese lilies – are highly toxic to cats.  Severe kidney failure can result from ingestion of even a few petals or leaves.  If your cat has eaten part of a lily, see a veterinarian immediately.

Oleander

Oleander is an outdoor shrub, popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers.  However, the leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.

Sago Palm

Very popular in warmer climates, this household and outdoor plant can be very harmful to pets.  If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

This list is provided by VPI Pet Insurance and is only a partial list of poisonous plants.  If you are interested in a certain kind of plant for your home or yard but are not sure if it’s pet friendly, visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com/IsThatPoisonous/poisonous-plants-to-avoid/ for a more complete list.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment